Asterisk won't start, can't connect to Asterisk console with '-r' parameter

Installing HAAst, prerequisites, getting HAAst started, and troubleshooting performance and technical issues. As well, upgrades to HAAst and any underlying software.
CRM User

Asterisk won't start, can't connect to Asterisk console with '-r' parameter

Post by CRM User » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:18 pm

I have setup HAAst correctly and I see that HAAst attempts to start Asterisk. However, it appears that Asterisk fails to start. I have narrowed this down to a permissions issue, and Asterisk is unable to create the pid file in /var/run/asterisk/

As a result I can't connect to Asterisk using the 'asterisk -r' command, and the PBX doesn't start (so HAAst fails over to the peer).

I am running Debian 9 with Asterisk 14. I don't use any configuration generator. How do I fix this?
Account for questions transferred from CRM system
Telium Support

Re: Asterisk won't start, can't connect to Asterisk console with '-r' parameter

Post by Telium Support » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:21 pm

The root cause of your problem is a regression (bug) in your Linux distro. There have been similar Linux regressions noted by Digium in the past (eg: https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-15603)

The solution is to use the HAAst event handler to create the missing directory for Asterisk, before Asterisk even starts.

Create the file /usr/local/haast/events/asterisk.start.pre with the following contents:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
If [ ! -d /var/run/asterisk ] ; then
  mkdir /var/run/asterisk
  chown asterisk:asterisk /var/run/asterisk
fi
and set the permissions on /usr/local/haast/events/asterisk.start.pre to 550:

Code: Select all

chmod 550 /usr/local/haast/events/asterisk.start.pre
Note: The event handler system (including use of the asterisk.start.pre file) is restricted to the Commercial Unlimited edition of HAAst only.