Installation - user interface is ugly

Installing SecAst, prerequisites, basic configuration, and troubleshooting performance and technical issues. As well, upgrades to SecAst and any underlying software.
phoneguy

Installation - user interface is ugly

Postby phoneguy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:55 pm

I want to install your program on my PBX. I figured out that I need to install your Windows program called "putty" to connect to my PBX (which you forget to mention in your installation guide).

I can now get to the next step in installation, but there are no icons, no buttons, etc in the putty window! When I type letters they show up in the putty screen, but it's like I'm editing a Word document. It just shows me whatever letters I type.

What a horrible user interface you have for your program! I have no idea where to click. With no icons or buttons there is no way to proceed to the next step? What a disaster!!

And why call your program putty? Why not call your Windows program the same as your Linux PBX program? Super confusing. This is pretty horrible!
Telium Support

Re: Installation - user interface is ugly

Postby Telium Support » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi Phoneguy,

I think you might be a bit confused. We don't make the program called 'putty'. And you are correct, there are no icons in putty, and when you type characters they are echoed back to your putty terminal window.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you have the skills required to install our products. You may be better suited to using "built-in" products from a configuration generator. For those to work you just click a button / type a code in a web GUI and it turns a feature on. (Those products are not comparable to Telium's products in features/functionality/performance, but they don't require any technical skill to install).

If this is for a business and you need the features/functionality/performance of Telium's products then I would suggest you purchase installation assistance. We would be pleased to perform the entire installation for/with you.
phoneguy

Postby phoneguy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:01 pm

I know what I'm doing. I installed the PBX from a CD rom all by myself (just check the options on screen and click next) - duh. This stuff isn't all that hard.

So you are say you don't make the "putty" program, but I can't install your software without the "putty" program? Sounds pretty suspicious.

At least add a NEXT button, or check boxes, or something to the putty window so I can figure out how to install your software. Don't you think it says something that I can install a PBX (figuring out what option to click on each screen), but get stuck at your Putty program?

Sounds like a scam for me to pay for installation. I've used Windows for over 10 years and installed all my own Windows programs. So I'm not an idiot.

You have to admit that it's suspicious that I can't install your product without the putty program, and you basically have to be a Linux genius to use your putty program (or I have to pay you to do it). Hmmmm
Telium Support

Postby Telium Support » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:15 pm

I apologize if my remarks seemed offensive. Our products are targeted at commercial enterprises with large or critical call centers, and demand the skill level of an administrator supporting those environments.

The best comparison I can think of is that our product is an 18-wheel truck, while the other product is a bicycle. I'm sure every home user can ride a bike, but without training many home users would have difficulty driving an 18 wheel truck.

If you are transporting a letter then a bicycle is a better fit for your needs(you don't want or need our product). If you are transporting 20 pallets of boxes then you want an 18-wheel truck. Approximately 30% of our clients hire us to do their installation. It doesn't mean they're stupid, it just means they don't have the skills, interest, or time to learn deep Asterisk and Linux skills, and just want to get our product installed.

So if you are installing our software in a commercial environment that needs the features we offer then you may wish to purchase installation assistance. Otherwise the 'built-in' options of configuration generators are often ideal for a home/home-office installation.