USB license on Hyper-V guest

Features, capabilities, and information about HAAst
CRM User

USB license on Hyper-V guest

Post by CRM User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:10 pm

I am running Asterisk in a guest OS on Microsoft Hyper-V and I chose to use the license on USB key activation option. How do I connect the USB key to the guest?

I've used VMware before and I know it's easy to pass through a USB device with VMware, but Microsoft has chosen to make this painful. Is there a workaround or do I need to change activation types? (you mentioned I could return the USB keys if I wanted to change)
Account for questions transferred from CRM system
Telium Support

Re: USB license on Hyper-V guest

Post by Telium Support » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 pm

In order to connect a USB device to a Hyper-V guest you need to use a USB over IP solution. This means you plug the USB device into a real (physical) device(possibly even the Hyper-V host) and then attach it to the guest over a network (IP) connection.

For example, there are software packages which will share a USB device over an IP connection:
USB-over-network.png
USB-over-network.png (15.1 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Example packages include: Note that the free solution may already be rolled into your Linux kernel (so you don't need to install anything on the guest).

There are also commercial hardware products which will share a USB device over an IP connection:
USB-over-network-server.png
USB-over-network-server.png (20.92 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Example devices include: Some clients have used a Raspberry Pi to create a USB device server on their network for USB keys and other devices shared across their data center.

We try to avoid endorsing third party products unless we continually test their product with our dongles (which we do not at this time), but we have been told by customers that they have had success with a couple of the software packages above.